A possible way to get plastics by no oil in the future

@Gregorius
Coal dust + water = burner mixer = liquefacted coal
Liquefacted coal = distillation tower = coal gas + other products
Coal gas = distillation tower = propane + butane + petrol + kerosine
Propane/butane==steam cracking==ethylene+other products
This means that if you can use ethylene polymerization to produce plastics in the future, you can get plastics without oil. If you think it will have an impact on the future Petrochemical Techtree, please change it.
What’s worse is that you can use coal to produce all kinds of oils. If these oils can be used to produce more petrochemical products in the future, then you can develop your petrochemical industry without oil at all…

3 Likes

One thing to note is, you can easily get Oil Shale and put that in a Coke Oven to get Oil from that. So finding Oil isn’t the Issue when it comes to the Tech Tree.

For the Coal thing, how do you think would Coal Dust + Water ever burn properly? I think that process needs Heat and not Ignition.

2 Likes

In reality, steam and coke react at high temperatures to form a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen called “water gas”, which is a kind of fuel. Coal liquefaction is the process of hydrogen cracking coal to produce various hydrocarbons, which was invented by the Germans in 1913 and used as a substitute for oil. So why does water react with coal in a burner mixer? This is obviously unreasonable.
Also, the texture of the liquefacted coal is almost the same as the color of the fluid output slot, which leads me to think that there is no product when I first saw the recipe……

3 Likes

There is a Liquefacted Coal Recipe AT ALL??? I didn’t add one as far as I know.

2 Likes

It should be compatible with TE4… I forgot this…
Also, it’s a silly decision to react ethanol with sulfuric acid to get ethylene… This will allow you to get plastic before you have a distillation tower…

3 Likes

Are you talking about GT5U? I didnt add much Stuff yet, so it cant be my Recipe. XD

2 Likes

For the recipe of petrochemical industry, we can use GT5U for reference, because it’s really not easy to master the proportion…
Liquefacted coal is indeed a compatible recipe of TE4, and since it was added to the GT API, I didn’t find it at first…
Ethanol dehydration is a silly suggestion… This will seriously affect the techtree, although it is feasible in reality.
In addition, there is a problem in collecting oil: because the formation of oil is close to bedrock, and there are many lava places, so if lava is formed next to the hard-to-find oil (especially above oil, more trouble), the oil may be burnt down…

3 Likes

Liquefacted coal is from my addon, I added it because I wanted a way to make oil from coal without making plastics. I’ll add a config that disables those recipes next update.

3 Likes

I’m sure liquificated coal exists in another mod as well. I know this because I have a tank of it that I tried to pump into a liquid burner box with minimal result. FTB says it’s thermal foundation.

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ve heard that oil next to lava can start fires but I’ve yet to see this happen yet. I would believe this to be a fairly frequent occurrence if it does happen.

2 Likes

only if its oil next to a block of air next to a block of lava, lava only replaces air blocks with fire when igniting stuff.

2 Likes

Yes liquefacted Coal exists in the Thermal Expansion related Mods, its basically just a Fuel. Unsure how its made in there but I think it was coal + water or something.

2 Likes

they have a liquefying machine, I would imagine it just heats the coal up to a molten state. I mean the whole thing runs on redstone flux which is basically just magic anyway.

I’ll need to go check the oil flow I found before. Last time the end was dribbling over a lava pool and I was sure it was going to burn, but nothing happened.
I’ll take a screen shot next time i’m down there.

2 Likes