Gameplans: Graphics Related Stuffs

So once more I have put Stuff on the Gameplans Page.

Graphics

Everything is gonna be blocky similar to Minecraft, but Slopes will also exist. I will just not add perfectly “round” things, since that does not fit the Art Style and makes everything more jarring.
I am not sure how well a Texture System could work, though I can understand cases where you would want tiny Ultra HD Ornaments such as Logos or Letters to be visible without having to put them on some large blocky canvas with the MC equivalent of 32x32 resolution.
Some people might be concerned that an FPS cap or something is gonna happen, dont worry I know how the whole FPS thing actually works, and wont cap the FPS. (And I kinda wanted to put this argument on this List, lol)
Sure you may not be able to see more than about 60FPS with your eyes BUT what people forget in this debate is that the Monitor and your eyes do not have “vsync” between each other.
What makes the matters even more complicated is, that if you have a >60 FPS thing running on a 60Hz Monitor you will not get more Frames BUT you will get more up-to-date Frames, reducing the overall felt latency between monitor and human!
So yeah, the argument of “you cant see more than 60FPS anyways you don’t need more!” is complete garbage if you look at it more closely! Not only do Monitors with higher refresh rates exist, but it also reduces latency in all cases.

This was mostly to see if this is getting a good reaction of some sort. Specifically the FPS Argument. XD

7 Likes

Note: With I wont cap FPS I mean the FPS Option wont have an upper Limit, you can ofcourse set the game to any Max FPS Value you want as long as it’s greater than zero.

5 Likes

Wait does that mean you can not run a server instance since it would not draw frames?
XDDDDD

3 Likes

Yes exactly, this totally applies to Servers that dont even have Graphics too. XD

3 Likes

But jokes aside, I have a question, what is the most common refresh rates? Specifically for preset points at which the FPS Slider would lock in. (there would be a Field for inserting Numbers manually next to it too)

I would say the following should be there for sure:

1, 6, 10, 12, 16, 17, 20, 24, 25, 30, 32, 36, 48, 50, 59, 60, 64, 72, 75, 80, 90, 96, 100, 120, 128, 144, 150, 160, 180, 200, 210, 240, 270, 288, 300, 400, 480, 500, 576, 960, 1000, 1152, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, 9001, UNLIMITED

3 Likes

honestly just make it a slider between 1-144 and the extra entries are bashed on top.

4 Likes

You know 240Hz and 288Hz Monitors exist already right? Also I do want some finegrainedness but not to the point of making it a Mouse-DPI hassle to actually use the Slider.

2 Likes

Scrollwheel support? Then mouse movement is for ruff adjustment and fine adjustment is done via scrollwheel? Like i do with ic2c?

4 Likes

Pretty sure most GUI systems already do that, and I will use a library that is supposed to do all the GUI work, because making your own GUI system is insanely stupid. * looks at Speigers game *

4 Likes

Until now I didnt expect you to be able to throw shade. Can I use that processing Shade-Power to make mcs renderengine faster?

3 Likes

You probably can? Unsure how you mean that, probably some Shader thing MC isn’t using properly.

But yeah if you dont use a GUI Library you’re pretty much attempting to do literally EVERYTHING that everyone has ever done to make a UI friendly for handicapped and non-latin-language based people.

2 Likes

Do you plan on having graphics being “smooth” like minecraft (filtered, antialiased, 24 bit color, etc.) or more like a 90s game, i.e. unfiltered, palettized, dithered? The same question goes for sound effects, realistic vs. synthesized.

2 Likes

I plan on doing relatively good graphics, eventually maybe even Raytrace support and similar. Think of it like Minecraft with 32x32 Textures, Microblocks and Optifine Shaders. ^^
Though low graphics can ofc always exist as a setting to save on performance.

1 Like

Nice metaphor. :laughing:
normaly people can see with division of frame up to 220FPS, pro gamer/trained sniper can see 240FPS. 60FPS is not for all situation.

2 Likes