How and where had you meet GregTech?

Simple question for everybody, but I think it will be interesting to know. And special question for Gregorius: why you decided to begin GT development ?

6 Likes

Originally I just wanted to add essential things that I felt were missing in MC, then I made things compatible, then I wanted to fix things that were just inconsistent, and then that ended up in me practically re-doing everything that already exists in a better way because everyone’s shit was broken as fuck, then I ditched GT5 for the same reason of being massively broken and started GT6.

6 Likes

Oh just forgot to tell about my meeting with GT;
My first version of GT was a GT3 on minecraft 1.5.2; I was young and a bit silly so I made “mod pack” myself, I just put there all mods what I could found. There was a GT too. I just played it in creative mod. Then 6(maybe) years passed and I visited “steamlynx” on YouTube, I heared about Ideal Industrial Assembly with GT5 and so I started playing it in survavial, some time latter I wanted to help it’s developers so I learned java a bit and start coding, so I’m here =)

5 Likes

I first saw GregTech when Gregorius first put out the lightning rod in the old IndustrialCraft, to much consternation of one of the IC2 devs. ^.^

5 Likes

Yeah but that was the Lightning Rod Mod, not GregTech. XD

4 Likes

That’s still what became gregtech when you started adding more though. ^.^

4 Likes

I was in the 4th grade maybe, and searching through packs on the FTB launcher. I found FTB Resurrection and tried it out. I saw that this mod named “GregTech” changed a lot of the recipes and added a lot of stuff, so I took a look into it and found out more. I spent a couple days grinding the BBF and found out that the EBF was a thing, so I basically ragequit after that, lol. Skip a couple years and I felt like revisiting that mod that made me ragequit and found out about GT5u in 2016 and saw Bear play with GT6. I played with GT6 and it was too much for me at the time, so i stuck with GT5u. I later went back to GT6 and found it much more enjoyable after Greg added some quality of life features. I started working on my addon and i’ve been loving it ever since :wink:

5 Likes

Hmm… The very first time was in 2013, when GT was more like an addon to IC and didn’t yet override pretty much an entire game :D. I remember it added the multiblocks Blast Furnace and the Grinder, and also the Chemical Processor that was a real pain for me to automate :).
On the next server there was GT5, but everyone on the server had avoided most of its changes - Steam was stored in a tank and was produced by solar mirrors… Although, as I remember, I was astounded by the recipes for Assembler and Mixer (I needed both of those to make a cake for Botania). At that time, everyone else on the server was getting really annoyed by the massive alterations, and decided to remove GT from next servers.
However, I was really curious about GT6, especially about the long progression and metal-smelting, and so I decided to start a solo-world, limiting myself to using just GT for everything, apart from cosmetics and some QoL features of other mods (like bags from Forestry). And so… Fast-forward 1.5 years, I’m still actively playing!

4 Likes

I used to watch anti griefer videos on yt long time ago and modded in particular. Back then i had 0 clue about minecraft mods and how to get them. Most mods that i remember seeing are industrial craft railcraft thaumcraft in magic packs and most importantly gregtech 1-4. The main things that caught my eye were tools that gregteh added: screwdriver, files, saws. I did not know what they were used for but they looked cool af and i never saw them before in any other mod.

When i started playing mc with mods, i did not know much mod names or what they did, i just sort of glued custom packs together from the popular mods on curseforge. And guess what, gregtech was not there so i never actually found it until i googled after. 2018? i installed gregtech for the first time? I played and was so annoyed that all ores were “messed up” and other mods’ recipes too. I went into creative and shat myself when i saw the list of items gregtech5 added XD

I did not touch gregtech for another year as i classified it as an abomination from an illegal chinese website. :stuck_out_tongue:

After all that i was getting real bored with minecraft and mods so i started making my own for fun experiments and searching for unique mods out there…
You can guess what happens next, i installed gregtech5 again. Played in a custom pack as always and i had the coolest memories after watching some russian guides on the internet and finally getting something done (steam age). I don’t remember why i stopped but i did for some time and i lost that world i had.

Being sad that i lost my modpack and survival world i installed GTNH. That shit got me hooked like cocaine. I played too much and the quests were just too rewarding to complete. I stopped playing GTNH because it was consuming too much time and mental health + it was getting very grindy.

Well after GTNH i googled gregtech once again and started playing GT6. I was getting used to it and slowly realizing that this was the best mod. I was always a bit sad when i could not find machines from gt5 and below as i though that gt6 was missing content, when in reality, the machines did exist, just in a different form or multiblock.

That’s pretty much how i met grugtech. :smiley:

5 Likes