I’m planning to order a bunch of Raspberry Pis and Peripherals for Game Testing and general Fun Purposes (because I like playing around with that Stuff) in September, as hinted at the Thread where I asked for Feedback on which alternative Operating Systems I could run on them.
So here is the Wikipedia Page for quicker Reference of some of the things I’m gonna mention.
On the Main List we got:
- First of all a Pi Zero WH (including a Case for it). This is probably the most important one for performance testing as it is the most Low Spec one I can get.
- The Pi 1B+ and 2B (and Cases for those). As I said I need one of each major Version of currently available Pi. I originally planned for the 1A+ but that one has neither Ethernet nor WiFi and I dont wanna dongle it up.
- The Pi 3A+ (also including a Case). Though I might end up considering the 3B+ instead, if I cant find a compelling reason to use the smaller 3A+. (because money isn’t)
- A Micro USB Power Supply for them, and a few more USB to Micro USB Cables since I am pretty sure I can use a regular USB Hub or Outlet to power those.
- A spare Pi Mouse and DE-Keyboard in Black.
- A Pi Touchscreen, because I feel like that could be useful.
- A quality 8+ Ethernet Port WiFi capable Router that can run Opensource Firmware. Why does it need to be a Quality Router despite me only having 15MBit/sec Internet? Because I am gonna use a Pi 4B as a NAS and that is gonna need Bandwidth bigger than the 300MBit/sec of that insecure Vodafone Gateway thing I have, and a hopefully Basement Reaching WiFi Range.
- about eight 32GB Micro SD Cards, three or four of which will have a simple Raspian instance, the others are gonna be for the Operating Systems I am trying out.
- four 0.5m Ethernet Cables (maybe 1m, I do have a couple of Ethernet cables left but not THAT many).
- A Pi Battery HAT or maybe two. Would be great for powering the thing through an Outage or so.
- The Pi 4B Desktop Kit. Yeah just that whole Package. I’m interested in how that whole Set works.
On the Maybe List is:
- A second Pi 4B with just 1GB RAM with Power Supply, 4GB SD Card, which I would use for the NAS (unless having 4GB RAM on a NAS is beneficial).
- The Power Over Ethernet HAT, more because it has a Fan built in, than because of the PoE Capability.
- The Infrared Camera seems interesting.
- Mini CDs and Mini DVDs. But just for trying out LiveDisc operating Systems.
- Another 2 Powered USB A Hubs with ON/OFF switches on individual Ports.
- Two External Hard Disk Drives (likely 15TB each) for the Pi NAS. I will definitely need to manage my Data Storage better.
- A special Fullbody Aluminium Case that can cool down a Pi 4B at continuous full load. (The “Flirc” Case)
Other Considerations included:
- A Thermopaper Printer, but I dont really need that, and I cant get the Proprietary Thermopaper to print out Bus Tickets anyways, so why bother. XD
- The ASUS based Pi with a 1.8GHz Processor
- All the striked through things I already ordered. Except the Pi 2B, guess I’m gonna skip the Middle child on that one. XD
- And those Hard Drives, went for a 1TB QLC SSD instead while using the current HDD I have as Backup.
As you can see plenty of Stuff to test/play around with. And each of the things should be very cheap to get too!
This is essentially grabbing all the Low Tier Hardware I can find for several Performance Tests (So I know that even the poorest people can play easily), and also trying to not having all the things put on Dust for being unused (by using them, lol). Well technically I’m not cleaning up any Dust anywhere, because I dont really have to, unlike OvermindDL1 who lives in a Desert, but you get what I mean.
Ofcourse I want to try making the probably jankiest Setup I can, for running one single Server instance of my Game spread over multiple Raspberry Pis at once.
But yeah, Tech Stuffs can be fun. ^^