Some potentially useful chemical materials and synthesis

As a person who likes chemistry, I think of some chemicals that may be useful. Some of them are available in GT5 but not in GT. Their uses may be different, but they should be useful in chemical industry. I want to develop more chemical industry and expand the techtree of GT6

Ethylene: As raw materials for the production of plastics by polymerization, they can be obtained in two ways:
1,Petrochemical products. Considering that it is not easy to expand the recipe of distillation tower at present, some products of secondary distillation tower can be obtained, and some other hydrocarbons can also be obtained by this way.
2, Sulfuric acid and alcohol can be dehydrated. This is the method of producing ethylene in the laboratory.

Methanol: Hydrogen reacts with carbon monoxide to obtain, mainly for further oxidation to formaldehyde, can also be flammable (DO NOT DRINK! )

Formaldehyde: Methanol and oxygen are synthesized by the reaction of copper/vanadium pentoxide catalyst, and phenolic resin and Urotropine can be synthesized.

Acetic acid: An important acid in organic chemical industry, the most common method is distilled vinegar, there is methanol + carbon monoxide or ethylene oxidation, may need more special reaction conditions and catalysts…

Monochloromethane/dichloromethane/trichloromethane/carbon tetrachloride: methane and chlorine are obtained by free radical chain reaction under light. In reality, if the ratio is not controlled, the reaction produces four mixtures, which need to be separated by distillation. (Maybe the selector tag is needed to control the ratio). For this reason, a new machine may be needed… Monochloromethane can also be obtained by reaction of methanol with hydrochloric acid.

Acetone: Calcium acetate is heated to obtain, or cumene is hydrolyzed by sulfuric acid (cumene can be obtained from benzene and propylene via Friedel-Crafts alkylation reaction), an important industrial raw material and solvent.

Acetylene: Calcium carbide is obtained by calcination of calcium oxide and carbon, and then by reaction of calcium carbide with water. It is a kind of fuel and industrial raw material.

Aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzene and toluene: petrochemical products, organic chemical raw materials and solvents

Phenol: distilled creosote oil obtained, can be synthesized phenolic resin, picric acid and bisphenol A

@Gregorius

4 Likes

You kindof talked about a few of the things I am gonna add this week. I wanted to do Plastics Processing and Stuff last week as you might know (which ofcourse go skipped due to “reasons”…), so Ethylene and Propylene did get added an hour ago or so. XD

4 Likes

Oh, I want to say why GT6 has methane, propane and butane, but no ethane? Moreover, butane has two isomers.
Anyway, ethylene and propylene are good. XD

3 Likes

All this talk of chemicals and plastics just reminded me that I left my liquid burning box running on my distillation tower over night. :unamused:

There goes my storage of creosote oil…

2 Likes

By the way, is it a new machine for steam cracking? I remember the GT5U oil cracking unit…
Also, I found that in any case, distillation of biomass in a distillery would result in loss, and biomass could not be distilled in a distillation tower to obtain all the products. Can biomass be distilled in a distillation tower?(although it requires a lot of stainless steel…)

3 Likes

Biomass in the regular small distillery isn’t lossy if you mean that, I did the Maths to make sure of it being profitable. Though I also made sure that Fossil Fuels are more powerful than Regenerative ones, otherwise people wouldn’t use them.

And the Steam Cracker is a separate brand new Machine, yes.

3 Likes

Distillation of biomass either yields ethanol or glycerol, which means you can’t get ethanol and glycerol at the same time.
When will hydrogen cracking be added? If so, will they use the same machine?

3 Likes

Unsure if they would use the same Machine, and it was hard to even get info on the proper ratios of steam cracking so I am not sure if I find enough data for the hydrogen cracking way.

2 Likes

You can refer to GT5U, although that part is not what you did…
It’s a pity that distilled biomass can’t get ethanol and glycerol at the same time…
To tell you the truth, GT5U’s petrochemical industry is too horrible…

4 Likes

We mostly get the Ethylene(C2H4) via the high-temperature cracking of the oil.
The preparation of Ethylene in laboratory is this reaction.But it usually has a side effects.
The Ethylene(C2H4) can make PE plastic.
The Ziegler-Natta catalyst is Titanium Tetrachloride-Triethylaluminum [TiCl4-Al(C2H5)3].
It enables us to make polyethylene(PE) under normal pressure and make PP plastic(Polypropylene).
Ethylene also a kind of plant hormone that can make fruits ripening faster.

The Syngas is used to make Methanol(CH3OH).
CO(g)+2H2(g)⇌CH3OH(g)
The Syngas’s main ingredients are CO and H2.
So you will have many reactions to get it.
You can use natural gas or Methane(CH4),even carbon itself in high-temperature to react with water to get it.

Formaldehyde,a important raw material of industry,can be made in this way.
(Yield about 85%)

Acetone,a widely used solvent and Starting Material in Organic Synthesis.
It can be prepared in the production of Phenol(C6H5-OH) as a by-product.

A direct method is heat up Calcium Acetate.
(CH3COO)2Ca==Δ==CaCO3+C3H6O(160ºC)

Acetylene’s production mainly use Calcium Carbide react with water.
CaO+3C → CaC2+CO↑
CaC2+2H2O→Ca(OH)2+CH≡CH↑
It needs a 2100K-2500K environment because it is a Endothermic Reaction.
Also,the Acetylene that be prepared in this way will have impurity such as AsH3 or PH3.
Now we can use plasma method to get Acetylene,using Methane(material),Plasma Arc Furnace(device) and argon,nitrogen,hydrogen(ionization matter).There are many papers aim to introduce this method.
The Acetylene can be used to make Vinyl Chloride,which is the raw material of PVC plastic.
Oxyacetylene flame is very important in Metal Processing Industry,especially welding and cutting.It can reach 3273K temperature.

Benzene and Toluene mainly in Distillation product of coal tar,be careful,because there is Thiophene in it. Benzene is also a widely used solvent and material.
6 (Thiophene)
You need to process your Benzene if you want to get pure Benzene.
The reactions that can happen on Benzene is various.Here are some examples.
The catalytic process is as follows:

If the reaction mechanism is wrong, please correct it.

1,2,3-propanetriol(glycerin) is using Chloro-propene method to produce.

I saw GregTech6’s recipe,it showed me that we can use Biomass to get glycerin(Distillation).It is a little difficult and unreasonable.
It can make Nitroglycerin(Glycerol trinitrate),one kind of strong explosive.
(When you making it,caution,you need to keep the environment cold using the ice and so on,you must not want your production line to fly on the sky.:wink:)

All pictures powered by ChemDraw

3 Likes

As for benzene and derivatives, because coal tar and creosote are mixed together in GT6, benzene, toluene and phenol can be obtained by distilling creosote oil?By the way, creosote oil also contains a lot of guaiacol, which is not very useful, so how to deal with it?
There are so many substitutes for benzene… Maybe you have to think about what’s more useful, or there’s too much to say…Thiophene is really a headache… Because it’s not very useful… Maybe not that complicated.
I think of a possible compatibility: Betweenlands tar can be compatible with GT6, which can not only help petrochemical industry but also solve those sticky and disgusting tar beasts…
Another major source of glycerol is the hydrolysis of fats (triglycerides) by strong alkali. What use might fatty acid salts (soaps) be? (DO NOOOOOOOOOOOT DO THIS TO JEWS! )
Also, how to register chemoffice?

3 Likes

I only want to show the principles that behind the game.:wink:Then you can get some ideas about future designs.If you want to omit some details,it is usually good,because something is really useless even in real life and too much details will use meaningless performance.The right to choose is always in your hands.
Some organic material is useful in real because their value in Organic Synthesis(Some of them only be used in this area),but GT6 didn’t add it.So you can omit them if you still can’t give it a purpose.
Facing an intractable mixture,the industry usually use Distillation Tower.Such as the mixture after Methane reacts with Chlorine in the light.
Also,I didn’t touch the Betweenlands,this adventure MOD.So I can’t give a answer.
Animal fats and oils are glycerides,so this method seems feasible.
我用的ChemDraw是交流学习版,不需要注册。交流学习版可能会出现打开CD类型文件崩溃的情况,截图就好了。:wink:
附上崩溃时的截图

3 Likes

As for other polymers, such as polycaprolactam (nylon-6), string can be made so that spiders don’t have to get string… I don’t think GT6 can add as many polymers as GT5U, but some of them may be useful…
Catalytic hydrogenation of benzene to cyclohexane may have some applications in petrochemical industry…
The idea of epoxy resin was good, maybe it can be used to make circuits above LuV. Maybe it can be added to the crystal processor to make the techtree a little more complex to increase playability… The production of epichlorohydrin may be more complex…
Phosphoric acid should also be an important acid. It can be obtained by the reaction of phosphor and oxygen in the roasting oven to produce phosphorus pentoxide, phosphorus pentoxide to water, or sulfuric acid to apatite,or nitric acid to phosphor.
As for the distillation of creosote, it may be necessary to reconsider…
还有,Chemoffice的学习交流版在哪里下载?能给个链接么?网上找到的要么带有病毒要么带有捆绑的流氓软件,官方网站不知道怎么下……
EDIT:好吧,现在解决了,只不过它只有20次免费打开的机会,后面就需要注册了,而我不知道怎么注册……

3 Likes

The nylon is a big family.So GT5u probably only added the polycaprolactam.It is used in Synthetic Fiber that can reduce the using of wools in MineCraft.
The Epoxy Resin and Polytetra fluoroethylene(PTFE) is so famous in both GT5u and the real life.They are good in circuits,chemical reactors,fluid containers and pipes.Then let them become parts of advanced devices is a good choice.Especially in reaction kettles,electrolyzers,processors’ substrate and fluid pipes.With them,the machines can dispose F2,HF or other extreme chemicals easily.You can set them after HV or in the middle of EV.Because the GT6’s crystal processors need systemic recipes and your chemical industry also needs a update.The complexity seems not a big problem because there were so many powerful computers,logistics mods and Fanatical Players.Just like the GTNH.:wink:
The common acids like H2SO4,HCl,HBr,HI,HNO3,H3PO4 and HClO4 are widely used in everywhere.Some of them is important in chemical engineering because some processes require them as catalyzer or acidic environment.The industrial synthesis of them sometimes are quite simple with a little recipes.But the calculation of yield maybe annoyed.They still need to be treated seriously.:wink:
I search on the Wikipedia to find out the applications of creosote.You can refer to the GT5u.Also,the wiki says it can be divided into three different kinds.Just oil-tar creosote,coal-tar creosote and wood-tar creosote(Named after the raw materials used to make them).They contained Alkane,Phenol,Benzene,Toluene and so on.So a Distillation Tower seems necessary.It can be designed like the GT5u.:wink:
这个是ChemDraw的百度盘,我截图用的体验不错,你试试需不需要注册。
链接:https://pan.baidu.com/s/1LpbJEO8jl7P-YXn1Uzr2zg 提取码:e3jX

3 Likes

In the case of PTFE… Because GT6 already has some anticorrosive materials (stainless steel, tungsten, iridium, Adamantium, etc.), it is a little inappropriate… Moreover, aluminium is needed to enter MV and hydrofluoric acid is needed to aluminium processing, so adding PTFE during HV-EV is not reasonable…
Epoxy resins can be added to LuV and above circuits, like GT5U
Hydrobromic acid and hydroiodic acid should also be useful… Hydrobromic acid can be obtained by the reaction of bromine, sulfur dioxide with water, or bromine with hydrogen directly, or bromine, phosphorus with water. Hydroiodic acid is similar.
As for perchloric acid… I found lithium perchlorate, which reacts with sulfuric acid to produce perchloric acid and lithium bisulfate, or sodium perchlorate reacts with hydrochloric acid.
How to synthesize isoprene should also be considered……
By the way, I saw naphthalene and anthracene in GT++ (strangely, they are liquids in GT++). Although GT++ is obviously not compatible with GT6, it may have some reference value… Naphthalene can be used as toilet deodorant (the deodorant ball in the urinal of men’s toilet is it). It can be used in industry to oxidize to phthalic anhydride, and some reactions that may not be very useful… Anthracene does not seem to be of much use…(Perhaps black smoke can be made from potassium perchlorate and sulphur?) Similar substances, phenanthrene is not very useful… Their homologues, tetracene, are promising organic semiconductors that may be used to manufacture advanced circuits… As for how to obtain them, creosote contains a small amount of aromatic hydrocarbons, which may exist in it, mainly through coal tar in reality.
If the next version of cracking petrol can get benzene, it may be a solution…
我之前已经下了一个了……不过是需要注册的……不知道怎么破解……

4 Likes

Oops,I forget the HF will be used in GT6’s electrolytic aluminium(AlF3).Maybe my thinking model is still in GT5.But electrolytic aluminium was industrial produced in the end of 1888.And the PTFE plastic was industrial produced in 1946(Nearly 60 years).PTFE just located in HV(because you can get U-235 in that period):wink:.There may exist another way to get AlF3.Also,PTFE is not required to process fluorine-related materials(Many metals will be passivated in fluorine,so they can act as reactors),but it is so useful and famous.Just in GT5u.
Aromatic Hydrocarbons is useful in solvent,catalytic cycle(production of H2O2),liquid crystal in LCD displayers and photosensitive matters.Because they have a big π electron conjugated system and little dipole moment.Also,they can have pericyclic reactions.They mainly in coal-tar so I think GT should add the parts of coal-chemical-industry.We often just use the coal as a cheap source of carbon or heat.Something useful has lost.The GT5u gives them high added value.:wink:
By the way,the stainless steel still will be corroded in concentrated HNO3 or other oxidation and acidic environment.Tungsten and Iridium is so expensive.Adamantium?How can I get it?Ores,or loot chests?:wink:So plastic is always a good choice in most chemical conditions and it is cheap.But their weakness is heat or structural strength.

3 Likes

Bedrock Drill Byproducts

4 Likes

I just hope that the next version will have a better way to produce benzene… Because GT6 has no coal tar, the production of aromatic hydrocarbons is difficult.
As for other polymers, such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and its related paraxylene (PX) project, which caused great controversy in China a few years ago, mainly about safety, there are rumors that PX is highly toxic (in fact, PX is not very toxic - not much stronger than ethanol, it is really dangerous that it is flammable - all hydrocarbons have this characteristic), PX can be oxidized to Terephthalic acid.as for ethylene glycol, can be synthesized by the reaction of ethylene, chlorine and water. 2-chloroethanol and alkali can be reacted to propylene oxide (which is also an important intermediate) and then hydrolyzed. but PET it seems to be of little use(GT5U does not have it).
Finally, I think I might do several distillation towers in the future…If the petrochemical industry becomes more complex in the future… (My stainless steel…)

4 Likes

Yeah overhere we complain constantly about the Poisonous Plastics used in cheap Chinese Products since decades, so it is not unusual for you to have concerns about safety, though that should have happened much earlier.

3 Likes

No, I’m not talking about inferior toxic plastics. I’m talking about the controversial events that happened in the past few years when some Chinese people opposed the government’s construction of PX chemical plants. In fact, the technology of PX projects in China has been relatively mature, and the harm to the environment will not be very serious. But some people just fabricate rumors that “foreign regulations require PX chemical plants to be 100 kilometers away from the city”, “PX is highly toxic”. Rumors such as “PX produced by a chemical plant can poison people in a city” and so on, especially after the PX chemical plant fire accident, a large number of fake news and rumors filled the network. For this reason, the government has done many times to dispel rumors, but there are always people who believe them. PX is not very toxic, only a short period of time will lead to a large number of inhalation hazards, and the real danger of PX is flammability, which is the characteristics of hydrocarbons.In fact, PX plays a very important role in daily chemical industry, but not in GT. Chemical production can lead to pollution, just like in GT5.
As for toxic plastics, it is mainly caused by unqualified recycled plastics and some unqualified underground black factories. In fact, Chinese law stipulates the content standard of toxic substances in plastic bags, and the recycled plastics can not be used for food packaging.

4 Likes