Steam Turbine flutter

Having a bit of a problem running a titanium steam turbine, I have 4 chromium boilers set up in an H pattern beneath with the turbine in the center of the H. For some reason the tachometer is reading constant flutter from 0 to ~200RU/t (don’t worry about the exact figure I’m experimenting with calcifying boilers) back and forth.

Boiler calcification would reduce RU output but shouldn’t cause flutter. Any ideas? No machine will run on this setup due to the level hitting 0. Had a similar issue with a custom bronze gearbox earlier but I thought it was just my setup.

3 Likes

Calcification will definitely cause uneven amounts of Steam and therefore the value would always go ±1

3 Likes

It seems odd that the tachometer is reading a constant change from 0 to xxx RU/t though. I had expected similar results to a bronze setup.

A row of bronze calcified boilers will run with effectively half the boiler pressure normally produced due to the 50% efficiency drop. The power output takes on a sloping decline as they calcify.

A bronze crusher or bronze centrifuge will continue to work through the calcification stage with decreasing power but not so with the titanium turbine, while it animates correctly the axle stop-starts.

3 Likes

Well maybe somewhere in your setup there is a point where it barely reaches the minimum required input, so this could happen?

4 Likes

Take a look, Here I’ve re-organized three of the boilers into series but the turbine still jumps from 0 - xxx RU/t back and forth. This happens without the electrolyzer and dyanamo attached too.

3 Likes

OK now it’s working, I changed the pipe design to that of an E with the turbine on the end of the center line and the RU/t is a constant 151 and dropping due to 50% calcification on three boilers and a third 13% and rising.

So having boilers in an H pattern seems to be the issue here. I’ll be doing more tests but I’ll keep this in mind, cheers Greg.

3 Likes

Didnt you have a G pattern and not an H pattern?

2 Likes

Tried H and G, but it only started working properly with E. I’m going to be doing more tests so I’ll let you know if I find anything unusual.

3 Likes

But yeah the Pipes can mess up transfer if they aren’t synched up properly and everything. Its a huge design flaw that cant easily be fixed.

3 Likes

Not a design flaw, I see it as a whole sub genre, pipework design. Trying a Q variant next.

3 Likes

It can also matter in which order you turn on the Boilers, that’s why its flawed. :wink:

3 Likes