Features that definitely need to be in GT6 before I start my own Game

It is a TFC modpack, that I used as an example of stacks on stacks.

3 Likes

Thank you for your early reply and concern.:+1:

4 Likes

So added the Stacks-On-Stacks thing to the list as a Maybe. I think everything on the List should be doable in the next 7 weeks, especially since I can (and pretty much have to) stay home this whole time without going to that Jobcenter mandated Stuff that wasted my time.

5 Likes

I always hope that the GregTech could become more interesting and exciting!:laughing::+1:

3 Likes

Allowing heat exchangers to liquify steam is necessary. This is one of the basic process of unit operation and wildly used in chemical industry to provide heat mildly to raw material which will be used in some pyroprocess later like distillation and concentration. With steam-based HU transport there’s more space for creativity.
Another feature should be added is check valve or centrifugal pump. As u know if someone wanted to make a pipeline with one-way valve, he had to use a tank and pipe to realise it and THIS is unreasonable definitely. So there must be a check valve. About the centrifugal pump I imagined that it could change the work rule of pipes, actually make any pipes following one-way pipes; even if the terminal was blocked the fluid would approach to the terminal as much as it could.

5 Likes

Steam heating is something I support, many real world powerplants sell process steam to companies closeby because it’s a very efficient form of heating and basically free for the powerplant once they reach some cutoff point where the inflow of water is already preheated to the maximum. It’s even common to directly use that steam for stuff like paper industry.

The most realistic way would basically be to use the low quality steam that comes out of turbines/engines and not the fresh steam from a boiler

3 Likes

Steam to HU was intentionally left out because Steam has too low of a Temperature for being considered good in this way, and a misdesign in the Heat Unit mechanics would make it unrealistic in many cases, like using 100°C steam to smelt iron at 1600°C.

As for the check valve, doesn’t the Shutter Cover do that job? (i could be wrong there)

3 Likes

Shutter should work as workarounds but make things a bit less immersive imho. Especially switching between freshwater and condensed water would work better with actual valves

3 Likes

Well I cannot believe those companies will buy high pressure steam and try transporting it at a high risk. Rather than collecting waste gas from turbines and engines, GT do recycle distilled water more; and plants prefer to recycle them all and send them back to condensers and tanks.
I have been to a pharma factory and there was a boiler and several heat exchangers. From books I know refinery use boilers too. I cannot imagine how they get enough steam by just buying from powerplants? Maybe paper processing doesn’t need so much heat but I insist transporting steam for a long distance do not make sense.

3 Likes

Thing is, sure it does make sense to be able to transport Steam for Heat, BUT you cant use Steam to heat up something to temperatures HOTTER than Steam, you can only use it to heat Houses or drive Turbines.

Long Distance Steam from Powerplants makes more sense than Electric Boilers in Houses because conversion cost is higher than insulation loss.

3 Likes

I can post a photo of such a pipe after work, there is one supplying my whole university with heat, not only used for heating but also for cooling servers (adsorption coolers) and several other applications. It’s neither high temperature nor high pressure though, a few Bar at 150°C

4 Likes

Those pipes are common in my country so you don’t have to take a photo after :slight_smile: .I just want to express that if some factories want to get enough steam for exchangers, they often have to get high pressure kind of steam because the low one cannot meet the demands.

3 Likes

Ah then I understood the exact opposite. Well yes that obviously makes sense to do more over short distances (guess why Steel factories are always close to powerplants) for safety alone

4 Likes

Foundrys are close to Powerplants because they need a dedicated Main Electric Line, and that should always bee a short line otherwise it gets costly.

3 Likes

Steam to HU is unreasonable because it is only 100’C.I agree with Greg.

The heat is hard to transport, unless you use some matters, like the molten salt or coolant for short distance.But in many places, there are many boilers,coils and ovens to produce heat and use it directly. Some factories decided to build near the power plant is want to use their remaining heat in wasted gas and burning process.

Steam is a widely used fluid. It should be consider as a special heat source, which is different from HU producers.

As the realtime control of pipes and single direction transportation, why not use gregtech covers?

3 Likes

I admit steam cannot be used to heat solid material because of the poor surface area. But you haven’t realized that 373K isn’t the maximum of steam and steam is the best medium for heating fluid due to enough exchange area.
Actually I don’t think temperature is a problem because in GregTech we always use resistive heater to heat stuff in crucible when the resistance is lower than 2500K or it must melt, and stuff can go over even 6000K. I think HU in game provides a way for transferring heat from cold one to hot one.

I cannot find the shutter module. Did I miss it?

3 Likes

just NEI search for “Shutter”? It is a Cover. It does NOT have the word Module in it.

3 Likes

The common steam is 100’C(under 1atm). And the overheated steam, which is produced by special boilers, will have higher temperature.It is lower than the melting point of many materials.
And in GregTech, there is nothing about gas pressurization, except compressor recipes.But they are still working in the form of the item.

In addition,the steam fluid in GregTech,has its temperature: 373K. You can refer to the overheated steam fluid in IC2.

As heat-exchange matter, why not use liquid medium or a gas-liquid circulation?

Indeed, the HU in GregTech is a little unreasonable. This point has been discussed before.Because(maybe) a more real heat system need complex calculation.

3 Likes

It doesn’t necessarily need more complex calculations. The real way to calculate it is Q=k(T1-T2) with K being the temperature conductivity. That leads to exponentially declining curves (or first Order lag, PT1 behaviour).

But if you assume “well controlled” systems then Q=k*sign(T1-T2) would work as an approximation. Now Q is constant and only the direction is depending on T preventing cool stuff from heating hot stuff.

5 Likes

A small compat request:
http://mod-minecraft.net/shadow-world-mod/
shadow world mod
Mercury and azurite and other materials should be able to add mineral dictionaries,loot chest can be compatible with gt6’s loot chest.
miniature portal can also be added. It is made of lapis lazuli and activated by shadow flint

3 Likes